Friday, June 21, 2013

Girls Germs

Growing up I remember my dad and mom being pretty crazy about each other.  They had their moments like all parents do, but not many, as I remember.  I don't remember how old I was, but I did know Girls Germs were deadly! Mom's and sisters germs were ok as long as they didn't kiss you on the mouth, if they did, you were doomed to go through life with the deadly disease.  It was just another night and my dad just came home from work.  The night before my parents had a disagreement, and I don't think they made up before they went to sleep.  I was hiding at the top of the stairs behind the banister waiting for my dad to come home from work so I could once again attack him, wrestle him to the floor and make him say uncle, I think I was 6.  He came through the door and my mom was there, she said she was sorry as did he and they kissed, not just a peck either but a full kiss on the mouth! I didn't mean to say this, I know I didn't, I was hiding for the attack, but when they kissed like that, I said yuck! Both of them looked at me right away, hiding place revealed I was in the open and doomed!  My mother said come here you little stinker, I'm going to kiss you as she started up the stairs after me.

Now again, kisses from sisters and moms were ok as long as it wasn't on the mouth, but kisses in general were pretty much not allowed.  Kisses from moms and sisters didn't kill you, the germ was dormant I guess and wouldn't change you into one of them.  One thing was for sure though, you could never let your friends see your mom or sister kissing you.  Kisses from sisters were a little more deadly but also survivable.  A kiss or even a touch from a girl that wasn't in your family did serious damage, it was the killer touch, and if it didn't kill you, just the simple fact you had been touched by one meant your friends telling you that you had girl germs over and over. There was always one part of this whole thing I never understood and don't remember.  I remember being chased everyday by the girls on the playground at Vose School with them trying to give me their germs.  The part I don't remember is when they stopped chasing, and I started! Girls Germs...

I think I was 10 with my first crush, little did I know, the chase back on, now me doing the chasing.